Did you know that according to the National Institute of Mental Health, over 30 million Americans need help dealing with emotions and issues that seem out of control? It’s easy to remember how important your physical health is, but don’t forget about your mental health, as it has a significant impact on your life. When you don’t feel well, or you’re in pain, the first thing to do is see a doctor. Sometimes we just need outside help from a trained, licensed professional in order to improve our mental health and work through our issues and problems. It is important to choose a psychologist you can work with and trust, as there is no point for psychotherapy when you feel uncomfortable and distressed with your psychologist.
Don’t know how to choose the right specialist for yourself? Here are three important tips from our psychologist in San Antonio to help you find the best fit:
- Find a psychologist who is recommended by your family or friends. If none of your friends or family can help, then try to find a psychologist online. Do your research and choose from a database of psychologists–there are an enormous variety of psychological specialists, so here are some factors to consider when making your choice:
- A specialty in a particular problem or issue
- A specific type of therapy that you are interested in
- Gender preference
- Credentials; check to see if a psychologist is licensed by the state or jurisdiction in which they practice and also has doctoral-level training and a clinical internship, as that distinguishes psychologists from many other mental health care providers
2. After choosing a potential psychologist, it’s time to call them! The initial phone call is important, as you can find out whether your chosen psychologist is a good fit. Here are some possible questions to ask:
- Will he or she be able to help you with your specific issue?
- Is he or she experienced in your specific issue area?
- What is the cost of treatment?
A phone conversation will also give you a sense of what the psychologist is like and whether you would feel comfortable working with them. If you felt comfortable during the conversation, then the next step is scheduling your first appointment!
3. Meet your chosen psychologist. During your first appointment, pay attention to how you feel and ask yourself some questions:
- Are you comfortable in the room you’re in?
- Can you be open with this person?
- Do you like the way they talk and listen to you?
- Do you think they can help?
Asking yourself these types of questions will help you to decide whether your chosen psychologist is the right fit for you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or ask for more information before you make up your mind.
Learn more: San Antonio Psychologist
Valiant Mental Health is the only clinic in San Antonio to exclusively provide Empirically Supported Treatments. Dr. Ann Marie Hernandez is a clinical psychologist with extensive experience in assessment and intervention in clinical and research settings. She provides comprehensive psychological evaluations for diagnosis and treatment planning, legal requirements, and disability/vocational determinations. Dr. Hernandez has published widely in the areas of suicide, PTSD, and chronic pain.
Are you struggling with a mental disorder? Visit our clinic to receive psychological counseling. We will help you keep a clear mind and manage any stress, anxiety, phobias, and any other mental health problems you may be facing. We want to maximize your mental health and help you live a better life. If you would like more information about San Antonio therapist, do not hesitate to Contact Us.
“The material contained on this site is for informational purposes only and DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE PROVIDING OF MEDICAL ADVICE, and is not intended to be a substitute for independent professional medical judgment, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your health.”